Salmon and Gruyère Grilled Cheese
- 1/2 lemon, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 slices of your favourite bread
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 4 oz Gruyère cheese, sliced
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- Whey butter
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the salt and when it dissolves add the lemon to the pan in layers (keep them flat). Do not stir while cooking. Let the water boil until it is almost gone, leaving only a thin syrup in the pan. Remove from heat.
- Preheat a large cast iron pan on medium-high heat on the stove top.
- Meanwhile place slices of salmon, cheese and the chives on top of 4 of the slices of bread. Add a lemon slice to each sandwich. Top with a second slice of bread.
- Butter the top bread slices, place the sandwiches butter side down in the cast iron pan once it's hot. Lower the heat to medium. Let the sandwiched cook until the bottoms are well toasted.
Butter the remaining side of the bread and then flip the sandwiches over. Gently press down on the sandwiches and let cook until well toasted.
- If the cheese doesn't melt enough, turn the heat down to low and cover the pan. Let cook for a few more minutes.