Monte Christo Sandwiches
- 4 teaspoons of honey mustard
- 8 slices white sandwich bread (select bread that is not too porous)
- 8 thin slices ham
- 4 slices of Jensen Cheddar cheese
- 12 paper-thin apple slices
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons milk (preferably not Skim or 1%)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Spread a teaspoon of mustard on each of four slices of bread.
- On top of the mustard, layer the ham, cheese and apples.
- Top with remaining bread slices.
- Whisk egg in a shallow pie plate and combine with milk.
- Dip sandwiches, coating both sides with egg mixture.
- Let stand 5 minutes before cooking
- Melt butter in a nonstick skillet.
- Add sandwiches, two at a time.
- Cook over medium heat, turning once or twice, until ingredients are hot and outside is browned and crisp.
- To serve, drizzle with syrup and cut each sandwich into four strips.
*Makes 4 Sandwiches*