Cheese Fondue - Canadian Style
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 ½ cups Oka cheese, shredded
- 3 cups Extra Old Cheddar, shredded
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Canadian whiskey
- 2 loaves of crusty bread
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 1 pear, cored and sliced
- Pour most of the wine into a saucepan or fondue pot, reserving 2 tbsp of the wine. Add garlic and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the Oka and Cheddar and stir until melted using a wooden spoon.
- In a bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the reserved 2 tbsp of white wine. Stir in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne. Add to the saucepan and bring to a simmer while stirring. Simmer for 1 minute then stir in the whiskey.
- Place the mixture over the fondue burner and set it to medium-low heat. Adjust the heat accordingly in order to maintain a constant simmer.
- Serve with bread, apples, and pears.